PC upgrade

Seabass

Do any of you gentlemen know much about building computers?

I think I need a new cpu as I’m getting bottlenecks (I believe) So my question would be can I just straight up swap the cpu or will I need a new MB and ram too? 

I have a ryzen 5 at the moment paired with a 1080ti so I’m pretty sure the problem is the cpu. I’d like a ryzen 7 but as stated not sure if I can just straight swap. 

Any help would be appreciated ??

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Seabass said:

I think I need a new cpu as I’m getting bottlenecks (I believe) So my question would be can I just straight up swap the cpu or will I need a new MB and ram too? 

I have a ryzen 5 at the moment paired with a 1080ti so I’m pretty sure the problem is the cpu. I’d like a ryzen 7 but as stated not sure if I can just straight swap. 

It all depends on your cpu socket, if its the same cpu socket you can do a stright swap.

but most likely you would need a new motherboard and cpu, but its hard to say without knowing what parts you have and what parts you would like to have.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seabass said:

If you wanted to switch to intel you would need a new MB and CPU,

However the fact you want to stay with Ryzen. Both Ryzen 5 and 7 operate on Socket AM4 platform. So no you would just need a new CPU.

(why would you stay with AMD though)

cat-parody-instagram-removal.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just looking at a cheaper option I guess, also was under the impression ryzen was better for multi tasking as I have a lot of stuff open when streaming. I am however not very clued up so if this the case then I’d look at switching. Would the ram need to be changed too? Oh and thank you for the reply, helps a great deal sir @scott smithy ??

Edited by Seabass

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Seabass said:

Just looking at a cheaper option I guess, also was under the impression ryzen was better for multi tasking as I have a lot of stuff open when streaming. I am however not very clued up so if this the case then I’d look at switching. Would the ram need to be changed too? Oh and thank you for the reply, helps a great deal sir @scott smithy ??

the whole amd over intel is getting out of hand and for the normal gamer you wont see a difference in process power. if you do alot of demanding programs like encoding, 3d rendering and so on then you might see a difference from amd to intel but for games/streaming its not gonna be that huge a difference.

if your able to do a straight swap from ryzen 5 to 7 u dont need to change your ram, if you change motherboard u might have to (depending on what ram type you have atm, iam assuming ddr4 if that's the case they would most likely still be a straight swap to a new mobo)

best advice would be to find out what kind of motherboard you have right now and look at the specs for it (cpu socket) and then buy a new cpu with the same socket. i dont know much about amd as ive allways had intel, but intel have diffrent sockets for the same type of cpu(older version i7 has one socket and newer version i7 has another socket) this might be the case with amd but iam not sure, so just check your motherboard and go from there.

• Thanks 1

If you stream demanding games you will get a lower performance impact with Ryzen, but in most games (we're talking like 80% of newer games and even more for older games) an overclocked Intel CPU will get higher performance to balance the losses from streaming out to +-5 to 10 fps in newer games, so not a big difference in that department. If you go with Intel you will have to get a new mainboard. If you stay with AMD you won't. All Ryzen processors use the same socket. RAM will not be an issue for either one. @Xpi Ryzen doesn't support DDR3 RAM anyway, so no issues here.

If you go with Ryzen you only need the new CPU and AMD is cheaper than Intel anyway. If you go with Intel you will have to get a new mainboard. And if you go with Intel you will also go with an unlocked processor because there's no point in buying a non-K processor at this point in time, so you pay more again. And if you buy an Intel CPU you also have to buy an additional cooler because they don't come with one, unlike Ryzen. And considering that it's Intel and you would overclock it it would have to be a pretty good cooler too (~60-90€). Your RAM will be compatible with both so you can keep that.

In conclusion, unless you have money to burn (anywhere from 300€ to 450€ for Intel and everything else you need over a new Ryzen CPU) stay with Ryzen. We're talking about performance differences of less than 10% here. Realistically closer to 5% for the vast majority of games. Get a Ryzen 7 3700X, overclock it a bit (you may need to buy an extra cooler for this, I haven't looked up how much excess heat the latest Ryzen CPUs generate when overclocked) and be done with it.

Post is a bit rushed, if you need clarification anywhere just ask.

Edited by qNxX
  • Thanks 1

@Xpi thank you dude ??

@qNxX again thank you too, think you’ve pretty much nailed it for me! Not to fussed about the extra 10% so for my needs the ryzen 7 will be perfect. I don’t really want to be changing MB’s and all that at the moment because of cost and also windows as I bought my pc made to order and it was pre installed so I was a bit worried about not having the key (wasn’t supplied) There’s also the problem of fitting the swap overs as I’m really not confident messing with it so extra cost there. 

Thank you again guys cleared my mind my mind on the route I need to take ❤️