IDK What ports are!!!

TaintedDark

In computer networking, a port is an endpoint of communication. Physical as well as wireless connections are terminated at ports of hardware devices. At the software level, within an operating system, a port is a logical construct that identifies a specific process or a type of network service.

The software port is always associated with an IP address of a host and the protocol type of the communication. It completes the destination or origination network address of a message. Ports are identified for each protocol and address combination by 16-bit unsigned numbers, commonly known as the port number.

Ports provide a multiplexing service for multiple services or multiple communication sessions at one network address. Specific port numbers are commonly reserved to identify specific services. The lowest numbered 1024 port numbers are called the well-known port numbers, and identify the historically most commonly used services. In the client–server model of application architecture, a multiplexing service is established, so that multiple simultaneous communication sessions may be initiated for the same service. The most commonly used protocols that use ports are the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and the User Datagram Protocol (UDP).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, F̲a̲c̲e̲l̲e̲s̲s̲ said:

In computer networking, a port is an endpoint of communication. Physical as well as wireless connections are terminated at ports of hardware devices. At the software level, within an operating system, a port is a logical construct that identifies a specific process or a type of network service.

The software port is always associated with an IP address of a host and the protocol type of the communication. It completes the destination or origination network address of a message. Ports are identified for each protocol and address combination by 16-bit unsigned numbers, commonly known as the port number.

Ports provide a multiplexing service for multiple services or multiple communication sessions at one network address. Specific port numbers are commonly reserved to identify specific services. The lowest numbered 1024 port numbers are called the well-known port numbers, and identify the historically most commonly used services. In the client–server model of application architecture, a multiplexing service is established, so that multiple simultaneous communication sessions may be initiated for the same service. The most commonly used protocols that use ports are the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and the User Datagram Protocol (UDP).

https://gyazo.com/a00cde3a59a1db96e705d4b10fb9edec Cheater

1 minute ago, RatchetandClank said:

Is it really cheating though? He uses the resources available to him to get the job done even if it's not the "correct" way. I feel like that fits the spirit of this community well ?

It was a joke...lol

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TaintedDark said:

I used google, I couldn't find anything that I could understand, not very educated in this stuff

There is plenty of documentation/resources available to learn about networks but you have to be willing to read through boring stuff that's how you learn anything complicated. If you can't understand what you're reading, try to google the parts you don't understand until you've built up your base knowledge to understand the more complicated topics. Most networking things can't be coherently explained in an ELI5 manner.

8 hours ago, TaintedDark said:

I used google, I couldn't find anything that I could understand, not very educated in this stuff

Can you tell me what you need it for? Maybe we could explain it in a more... practical situation. I can understand that if you have little to no experience on networking it might be very confusing and I could try and help you understand the parts you need.